Abandoned Cart Text Messages: Get Them to Come Back
High abandoned cart rates result in lost sales and cause inventory issues for retailers. In a world where every penny counts, take action to get customers to return to their abandoned carts by using abandoned cart text messages.
Improving your abandoned cart rate and boosting your revenue is possible with SMS tools like TextSanity.
What is an abandoned cart?
An abandoned cart occurs when a customer adds items to an online shopping cart but exits the website without completing the purchase. Customers abandon online shopping carts for a variety of reasons. The most common are:
- Unexpected shipping costs
- Lengthy shipping times
- Researching products and prices
- Confusing checkout process
- Website errors or crash
- Discount code errors
- Payment method not supported
- Lack of customer support
- Restrictive return policy
- Required to create a new user account
Abandoned cart rates vary by country, industry, and shopping method; however, the average abandoned cart rate ranges from 60% to 80% depending on the factors used in the calculation.
Spain had the highest abandoned cart rate at 86.14%; the Netherlands had the lowest abandoned cart rate at 65.49%. The United States had the second-lowest abandoned cart rate at 71.86%.
In terms of industry, the automotive industry had the highest abandoned cart rate at 89.11%, closely followed by the airline industry, the fashion industry, and the travel industry.
The grocery industry had the lowest abandoned cart rate at 61.13%, closely followed by the electronic industry, the pharmaceutical industry, and the cosmetics industry.
In terms of shopping method, shoppers on mobile devices abandoned shopping carts at a higher rate (86.65%) compared to shoppers on both tablets (80.74%) and desktop computers (73.07%).
Why should you send abandoned cart messages?
It’s important to take action to address the most common causes of abandoned carts listed above, but it’s simply not possible to eliminate this issue. However, you can win back some of these abandoned carts with abandoned cart text messages.
Let’s say your abandoned cart rate falls right in the middle of the 70% to 80%; an overall average at 75%. This means your revenue could theoretically be 75% higher than it is now. Let’s also say that you’re able to reasonably recover 10% of your previously abandoned carts using a targeted abandoned cart recovery strategy.
If your revenue is $1,00,000, then you’re missing out on $750,000 in revenue due to cart abandonment. But if you’re able to recover just 10% of these abandoned carts, you can end up with $75,000 as a result of your efforts — making them well worthwhile.
Why is text perfect for abandoned cart messages?
The best abandoned cart recovery strategy is using text messages to reach out to customers who abandoned their online shopping carts.
Text messaging is only getting more popular, and customers tend to prefer this method of communication. Specifically, younger customers prefer text messaging over other methods of communication like emails and voice calls.
Additionally, text messaging is instantaneous and more personal than other methods of communication. Compared to text messaging, email is considered the new “snail mail” since texts are sent in a fraction of a second.
Compared to email, text messaging is considered more intimate since people tend to text their close friends and family members to communicate rather than email.
As a business, text messaging puts you right where you want to be when trying to establish relationships with your customers, communicate with them, and win back their business.
How to use TextSanity to send abandoned cart messages
Using TextSanity is straightforward when sending abandoned cart reminder messages to your customers. Transfer your customer’s name and phone number with their abandoned carts from your POS system to TextSanity using Zapier.
Using Zapier, create a tag in your TextSanity account before making the zap from your POS to TextSanity.
- Select contacts to send abandoned cart messages using the tag you created.
- Send an individual message about the items in their cart.
Examples of abandoned cart text messages
Let’s discuss some specific examples of effective messages to send out to your customers to get them to come back:
- Are you forgetting something? Have you left some amazing items in your shopping cart. Click here to purchase these items yours before they’re gone.
- Don’t miss out! This deal won’t last long. Click here to complete your purchase with [brand name] before it’s too late.
- We couldn’t help but notice that you left some items in your cart. Here’s a coupon code for 15% off to help you finish the process. Click here to get your discount.
- Did you have any questions about [product]? We are here to help! Click here to talk to our customer support team about your questions.
- You’re almost there! Just a few more clicks, and your [product] can be on its way! Click here to make sure that your order is shipped ASAP.
No matter which example you use, here are some final tips and tricks to make sure that your abandoned cart text messages are appropriate and effective:
- Always include your brand name in your abandoned cart messages so that customers know who is contacting them and why
- Include the customer’s name in the abandoned cart message so that it’s a more personal experience
- Place a link back to the customer’s shopping cart in the message to make the recovery process as easy as possible for them
- Make sure to include an “opt-out” option for your customers
- Only send abandoned cart text messages to customers who have “opted in” to receiving such messages from your brand
- Only send abandoned cart messages at appropriate times and take time zones into consideration
- Incorporate a strong call to action into your abandoned cart message to make it clear what you want the customer to do
- Incentivize a purchase by placing a unique discount code into your abandoned cart message
Instead of falling victim to high abandoned cart rates, take control of the situation with a user-friendly tool like TextSanity. TextSanity makes it easy to improve your abandoned cart rate and win back a substantial percentage of previously lost business.
To find out more about this incredible tool and how you can use it for your business, text the word DEMO to 50505.