A2P SMS: What it is and How’s it Different from P2P
If you’re not using A2P SMS messaging, you’re missing out. Many businesses assume their only communication option is P2P messaging. That’s not the case. Learn more about what A2P messaging is, how it works, and its benefits.
What is A2P messaging?
Application-to-person (A2P) messaging is when a recipient receives messages from an application rather than an actual person.
How does A2P work?
A2P messaging works in several different ways. One method utilizes a chatbot that’s programmed to answer frequently asked questions automatically. Chatbots also offer useful prompts to customers who want more information about a company or product.
Marketing messages sent to customers en masse is another form of A2P messaging. These customers have previously opted-in to receiving marketing materials from your business. Include information about new product launches, seasonal sales, order updates, and more in your A2P messages.
How do I send an A2P message?
To send an A2P message, you’re going to need to use an SMS texting platform. The platform you choose depends on what type of A2P messages you’re trying to send. For instance, if you want a chatbot on your website, you need an application with a chatbot feature.
If you want a text message chatbot, then you should consider TextSanity. TextSanity allows you to send text messages to individuals and large groups from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. For a free demo of TextSanity, text the word “DEMO” to 50505.
What is P2P messaging?
Person-to-person (P2P) messaging is when a recipient receives messages from an actual person through two-way direct communication.
How does P2P messaging work?
P2P messaging works like text messaging with friends or family members. With Apple devices, you’re able to use iMessage to send messages over WiFi to friends and family members who also have Apple devices. Android devices allow text messaging using cell phone data only.
What is the main difference between A2P and P2P messaging?
You can see that the main difference between A2P and P2P messaging relates to the origin of the messages. With A2P messaging, the text originates from a software tool. With P2P messaging, the text is coming from one person.
From there, this difference persists throughout the conversation. With A2P messaging, you’re not communicating with an actual person. Instead, you’re communicating with technology. With P2P messaging, you’re communicating with a living and breathing human being.
What are some different ways to use A2P messaging?
There are so many different ways that you can use A2P messaging to grow your business. Here are just a few examples:
- Two-factor authentication: Use A2P messaging for two-factor authentication to prevent security issues and fraud. When you use this, you’ll receive a text with a login code. Enter this code into the website or application you’re using.
- Shipping notifications: Use A2P messaging to keep customers up-to-date about their order status. Customers can be notified when the order is processed, confirmed, and when it ships out with a tracking number.
- Appointment reminders: Use A2P messaging to remind customers about their scheduled appointments. It also allows customers to reply to confirm that they’ll be there.
- Unusual activity alerts: Use A2P messaging to provide customers information about unusual activity on their accounts. For instance, if there’s a log-in from a different device in an unknown location, the customer is instantly notified.
- Customer satisfaction surveys: Use A2P messaging to conduct customer satisfaction surveys. Come up with a list of questions and allow customers to respond with a yes or no answer or rate each prompt on a scale of one to ten.
What are the benefits of A2P messaging?
P2P messaging is helpful because customers like to communicate with other people about their concerns. Here are the benefits of A2P messaging.
- Cost: For starters, A2P messaging is cost-efficient. In an ideal world, you could have customer service representatives available 24/7 to answer customer questions. In reality, that’s simply not possible for many businesses trying to minimize their operating costs. So instead of paying real live people on an hourly basis, you can pay a flat fee for a software tool that helps you achieve the same objective.
- Reach: A2P messaging also helps you maximize your reach. Instead of manually sending out text messages to customers, you can use a tool like TextSanty to reach hundreds or even thousands of people in an instant. The more people you reach, the more customers and sales you can gain.
- Efficiency: A2P messaging is extremely efficient — a benefit that also ties in to cost and reach. Spend valuable time focusing on more important tasks instead of typing out countless messages. Reach more people with all the extra time you’re gaining from the technological features of A2P messaging.
- Extra features: A2P messaging tools also provide more features than P2P messaging. Many A2P messaging tools let you schedule messages so that you can reach the right people at the right time. They also provide access to message templates to make the process simple.
- Analytics: Another beneficial feature provided by A2P messaging tools is valuable analytics. That way, you can see all the information about your A2P efforts. For instance, you can see how many subscribers you have, how many people open your messages, and how many people click on your links.
What types of businesses can benefit from A2P SMS?
E-Commerce companies use A2P messaging to stand out from competitors and build relationships with potential customers. Brick-and-mortar businesses use A2P messaging to stay in touch with their customers and to remain top of mind.
But A2P messaging isn’t just beneficial for product-based businesses. It can also be beneficial for service-based businesses thanks to features like customer service chats and appointment reminders. If a customer is having issues with their service, they can quickly and easily get the support they need. Or, if a customer schedules an appointment to come in for a service, send them a text message confirmation, reminders, and confirmations.
What types of clients are likely to buy if I offer A2P SMS?
Send out A2P SMS messages with special offers and sales information to customers who need a push to the conversion “finish line.”
Your existing customers will likely become repeat customers thanks to A2P SMS messaging. These customers are well aware of your business but might be waiting for a big sale or special coupon before they make another purchase — so you can give them what they need through A2P messaging.
What will be the upcoming trends in the A2P SMS market?
We can confidently say that A2P messaging is more than just a fad and is here to stay. But what are the trends in the market, and how can you stay ahead of the curve?
- The global A2P messaging market size is predicted to grow from $62.1 billion in 2020 to $72.8 billion by 2025 — resulting in an annual growth rate of 3.2%.
- The A2P market is predicted to grow at the highest rate in the Asia Pacific (APAC) region, with major contributors being China, Japan, and India.
- The global A2P messaging market has been boosted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Companies needed virtual solutions to keep in contact with their customers, and A2P messaging was part of that solution.
Use A2P SMS to
If you’re looking to reap the benefits of A2P messaging, then you need to get started with a service like TextSanity. TextSanity provides you with a unique phone number that you can use to text any U.S. number from anywhere in the world. Contact TextSanity for more information about plans and pricing.